A Quick Look at Microsoft Word and Excel 2013
In addition to moving Office to the cloud for 2013, Microsoft has also made improvements to the individual apps contained within the most popular suite of productivity tools ever created. The newest version of Office is also touch-screen enabled, integrated to their cloud-based storage system SkyDrive, available across a variety of devices, and more versatile than ever before.
You might also be interested in our series of articles for Microsoft Office 2013.
For more information on changes to the new Microsoft Office, take a look at this article, 10 awesome new additions in Office 2013.
At North Star, Inc., we are always looking for ways to help our clients save money, improve efficiency, and increase productivity. As your chosen Denver IT support specialists it is part of our function to help you discover new, more productive tools for your organization. So, let’s take a deeper look at the improvements to Word and Excel that are being offered within Office 2013.
What’s new in Word 2013?
The first thing you will notice about the latest version of Word is that it has a cleaner, more polished look. With an array of new design tools and templates available in Word 2013, creating new documents is easier than ever before. You will also discover new and improved paths to sharing docs and collaborating with others. The new reader-friendly design, you will enjoy improved focus and fewer distractions as you work on your documents. As your trusted Denver IT Support team, we’re here to provide you with what you need to know, and what you can expect.
- Enhanced “Read Mode” – allows text flows automatically in columns, making it easier on the eyes and a pleasure to read. The need for scrolling the page has also been eliminated with a simple click required to compress the portions you’ve read and bring up the next section.
- New “Object Zoom” – feature for viewing charts, tables, images, or videos. Simply click the item you wish to see in detail for an enhanced close-up, the click again to reduce to normal size and continue reading the doc.
- New “Resume Reading” – function will automatically bookmark your document and return you to the previous location when you return to finish reading. You can even resume reading on a different device – a different PC or a tablet – at the exact location you left off reading.
- Improved Document Sharing – across devices with an array of collaborators for increased efficiency and productivity.
- Improved “Reply Comment” – function allows you and your collaborators to share comments on any changes made, or to be made, in your documents.
- Sharing has been greatly simplified – with fully integrated use of SkyDrive. Make sure every participant has the latest version of your doc without having to email it to them.
- New “Present Online” – function allows you to share docs with others, even if they don’t have access to Word. Simply share the link with them and they can follow along with you in their own browser.
- New “Alignment Guides” – to help you polish your digital presentations, giving them a truly professional look and feel – including PDF content.
- New “Live Layout” – function makes adding images, charts, and videos as easy a s a click of the mouse, reshaping the text to accommodate them automatically.
- New “PDF Reflow” – function allows you to open a PDF directly into Word, make your edits and changes, and then resave as a Word doc or as a new PDF. Finally, a PDF behaves just like a Word document.
What’s new in Excel 2013?
Much like Word has done, Excel 2013 has also made the move to the cloud, with enhanced features and new functionality that makes this most popular spreadsheet app more versatile than ever before. With new and improved ways to insert and track data, as well as improved graphical enhancements and access to cloud-based sharing via SkyDrive, Excel 2013 has again become the most versatile spreadsheet application on the market.
- New “Flash Fill” – function provides easy data formatting as Excel learns your patterns and completes the remaining formulations for you – no macros required.
- “Recommended Pivot Table” – function allows you to present your data in the most concise and compelling fashion, by suggesting various pivot-table options for you.
- “Recommended Charts” – feature helps you discover the most effective charting options for your data. Simply click the recommended option you wish to use.
- New “Quick Analysis” – feature helps you discover a variety of data presentations. Simply choose your formatting options and apply them with a single mouse click or tap of the touch-screen.
- New “Chart Formatting Control” – function helps you “fine-tune” your charts quickly and easily. Change every element of your chart, including title and layout, from an enhanced, interactive interface.
- “Simplified Sharing” – of Excel spreadsheets is available through SkyDrive (or SharePoint) now by default. Collaboration is also available with anyone and everyone who needs to make input, and everyone will always have the latest version.
- “Social Network Embed” – feature allows direct posting to your social network pages, whether portions or the entirety of your data.
- “Present Online” – feature allows you to share your workbooks, and/or allow collaboration, through a Lync conversation or meeting.
Needless to say, there are plenty of exciting new features and productivity enhancements to Word and Excel contained within Microsoft Office 2013.
For more detailed information and a review of a hands-on impression of the new version of Office from Microsoft, have a look at this article Microsoft Office 2013 Preview: Hands On, from PCWorld.com. PC World also offers a more detailed look at the new user interface being offered in Office 2013 here: Microsoft Office 2013: A Tour of the New Office Suite’s User Interface.
If you are looking for reliable a Denver IT Support team, North Star, Inc., is here for you, including your introduction to Microsoft Office 2013. Get in touch with us today with your IT Service Request.
With our compliments, download these presentations and share them in your business 🙂