Now that we’ve introduced you to the Surface Tablet from Microsoft, it’s time to delve a little deeper into the newest tablet computer technology on the market and, since our focus at North Star, Inc. is on technology for business, we need to discuss whether or not the new Surface Pro Tablet, available in January 2013, is a tool that will benefit our Denver IT consulting clients. In short, we think it can.
Surface Pro is a true business tablet
The most important feature of the Surface Pro, as opposed to the Surface RT, is that the new tablet will run the full version of Windows 8 Pro, rather than the streamlined version of the RT. The Surface Pro is also fully compatible with Windows 7 and many other legacy apps, which is not true of the RT tablet.
The Surface Pro uses a 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory. Available in two versions, with 64 GB or 128 GB of storage, the Surface Pro uses a 42Wh battery for increased power, storage, and battery life (an estimated 10 hours). The business tablet has a 10.6” 10-point multi-touch screen with pen input and full HD display, with 1920×1080 pixels (16:9 widescreen). The Surface Pro tablet form Microsoft weighs 2 pounds and offers front and rear-facing cameras, microphone and stereo speakers, as well as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, and a single USB 3.0 port.
The Surface RT is designed to be an additional mobile computing tool, an addendum to your desktop, while the Surface Pro can be used to replace your desktop, while remaining fully mobile. With this type of power and versatility, the Windows Surface Pro just may become your primary computer. Beginning at $899 for the 64 GB version, and $999 for the 128 GB, the Surface Pro is competitive with any other tablet on the market.
- Operating System – Windows 8 Pro, and runs current Windows 7 desktop applications and integrates with your existing enterprise management infrastructure. Use the programs and the apps available in the Windows Store.
- Exterior – 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in, 2 lbs, VaporMg casing, Dark Titanium color, Volume and Power buttons
- Storage – 64GB, 128GB
- Display – 10.6″ ClearType Full HD Display, 1920×1080 pixels, 16:9 (widescreen), 10-point multi-touch
- Pen Input – Pen input and pen (included)
- CPU – 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory
- Wireless – Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology
- Battery – 42 Wh
- Cameras and A/V – Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing with TruColor, Microphone, Stereo speakers
- Ports – Full-size USB 3.0, microSDXC card slot, Headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover port
- Sensors – Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass
- Power Supply – 48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)
- Warranty – 1-year limited hardware warranty
- Apps (included) – Windows Mail and Messaging; SkyDrive; Internet Explorer 10; Bing; Xbox Music, Video, and Games
- Go here for a comparison of the Surface Pro vs. the Surface RT
Why you should consider the Windows Surface Pro Tablet for your Business
As you might expect from Microsoft, the creators of the most popular operating systems in the world, the software giant has created a versatile, flexible, and familiar business tablet, offering seamless transitions from a static desktop computing environment to a fully mobile computing experience. Essentially, and for the first time ever, you will be able to take your desktop with you, including your favorite Windows apps and programs, as well as all of your contacts, files, documents, and spreadsheets.
“I think once folks put their email, calendars, contacts, and documents and pics into the amazing ecosystem that is Win 8 and SkyDrive, and then watch as all [their] stuff just follows them around from computer to computer, they will be nicely surprised, ESPECIALLY when that computer crashes. Then it’s like “so what”? Just walk over to the next Win 8 device, sign in with your credentials and bam, there’s all your stuff. That’s all anyone really wants. So easy.” ~ jimmyfal, commenting on the article “Why Microsoft Surface Is the Only Choice For Business Users,” at the Huffington Post.
All of your familiar apps and programs are just a touch away with the Surface Pro…
- Microsoft Office is finally available on your mobile device, with all the apps you use every day.
- Cloud-based Connectivity for anywhere, anytime sharing and productivity.
- USB 3.0 and a 64 GB memory slot, for enhanced power and storage.
- A True Browser Experience, unlike most PDAs, smartphones, and other tablets.
- Great Battery Life through smarter technology and reduced background usage.
- Built-in kickstand and removable keyboards for a more stable yet versatile mobile experience.
- Touch or Type Cover Keyboard available
Take all of your favorite Windows productivity apps along with you
Yes, it’s true; you can finally take Office with you. Wherever you need to go, whatever you need to do, Microsoft Office will be available at the touch of your high definition screen; including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook, all of the Windows programs you use every day will finally be as mobile as you are. Isn’t that exactly what you’ve been looking for in a mobile device for your business?
If you are looking for reliable IT consulting in Denver and the surrounding areas, North Star, Inc., is the place to go for quality Denver IT support. Get in touch with us today with your IT Service Request.